Thursday, December 1, 2011

Free Writing Assignment

David Maziarz
COMM 337
Free Writing Assignment

                This is my first semester of taking communications courses. I really didn’t know what to expect coming in, but I have liked it so far. I have dove in taking 5 communications classes and I’m trying to catch on as quickly as possible. Growing up, I did at some points want to be a writer so I guess I’m exercising that demon out of me as I have definitely gotten my fill of writing this semester. Another reason I switched majors was because I have a cousin who has been working in advertising since he graduated and in 10 years he has already held down a job in New York City, Chicago, and currently in Los Angeles. After talking with him I decided that I should at least give communications a chance.
                My first dream job in writing would be writing for Rolling Stone Magazine. I have been reading the magazine for years and it is really the only publication that I have paid attention too over the course of a few years consistently. I think it would be a dream job to be able to travel around everywhere, interviewing musicians and celebrities. No matter who the feature article is about, it always seems to be a good read.
                My second dream job in the communications industry would to be some type of sports writer. I have loved watching and playing football and baseball my whole life. Having played and watched as much as I have, I think that I would make a good fit as a sports journalist as well. If I could pick between the two I would definitely work for Rolling Stone, but I do believe I could hold down a job as a sports journalist.
                My biggest role model as I mentioned before is my cousin Mark. He has worked for Coca-Cola, Heineken, and Taco Bell’s advertising agencies. He is the one that convinced me to switch my major and so far, so good. I haven’t been scared off yet.   

No comments:

Post a Comment